Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Switching up the morning beverage

So...I decided last week that I needed to lay off the coffee. There were many reasons for this, and at the time I didn't really think I would be giving it up all at once. But, this is day 6 of no coffee...and wow, I miss it!

When I make up my mind to really do something I often need to just jump in with both feet. So in this case, it meant giving up coffee cold turkey. I am considering waiting another week or so and then trying decaf. But in the meantime, I have found it quite interesting how my morning ritual has been shaken up by something so simple as the absence of a beverage!

I never really thought of myself as someone who relies on routine (although it would probably do me a world of good!). But I do enjoy my morning rituals to get a good start on the day. In the absence of coffee, I've been adding some variations to my morning lemon water...mint, basil, strawberries, peach slices, cucumber slices or some combination thereof. Then I drink green tea throughout the day (still not ready to totally kick caffeine).

Habits are interesting. Have you ever established a habit or routine that seemed like an insignificant part of your day until you gave it up?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jennifer, I feel you! I'm getting a cold sore and I know that caffeine makes them worse, so I wanted to skip the coffee this morning. But I really like having the routine of making a beverage for myself - it feels like self care. So I decided to mix up some herbs, both fresh from the garden and from my cabinet, and have a lovely iced herbal beverage in its place (it was chamomile and oatstraw with fresh lemon verbena and mint). It was lovely.

    Until I got a splitting headache at 3 pm. So I made the damn coffee anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chessa! Yes, it is quite comical how I have come to view my coffee as sacred! I adore tea and drink it all day, but without that one single glorious cup of coffee in the morning it does not seem the same. Your herbal infusion sounds lovely, and thanks for reminding me about oatstraw! I bet that would help me get through a bit of this coffee withdrawal. If I remember correctly you used to drink decaf? Can you recommend a good one?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!