Monday, July 9, 2012

Sore throat weekend

Not that anyone ever enjoys having a sore throat...but I really, really hate it. As a kid I would get strep throat at least once a year, and had what seemed like one long continuous cold all through elementary school. Thankfully as an adult I am much healthier! Yet something about a sore throat brings back those miserable feelings of "when will this end?" and "what did I do wrong?".

Having birthed four children I feel a bit ridiculous lamenting a sore throat! All in all, it really is not that horrible...just uncomfortable. Lack of comfort...moving beyond comfort...

What is the best way to handle moving beyond one's own comfort zone (speaking in a larger sense here, not just about my throat)? What does that physical feeling of discomfort try to tell is in our bodies? In my case, I am guessing it is my body's signal that I need more rest and more water. I am guilty of pontificating on the benefits of adequate hydration but then falling short myself. I suppose it is another one of those lessons...

When I re-frame minor discomfort I can see it for the gift, or lesson, that it is. Now major discomfort, whether it is physical or emotional, is a bit more difficult (at least for me) to re-frame. What is my body telling me, and why? I try to tune in, and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!